With our strawberry patch opening here this week, I thought it would be appropriate to post a DELICIOUS Strawberry Shortcake Scone recipe I made with my boys a few weeks ago. The ingredient list is short and the recipe is simple as can be. Most importantly, they are so full of flavor and I know freshly picked strawberries will make them even better!
Strawberry Shortcake Scones
(original recipe here)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 12 strawberries, hulled and diced
- 3/4 cup half and half
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 425. Line baking sheet with parchment paper (I only had tin foil, so I just sprayed it first with a little coconut oil spray so the scones wouldn't stick)
2. In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter or your hands.
3. Toss in the strawberries, completely covering them with the flour mixture. Fold in the half and half until you get a soft dough. I had to add a bit more flour because mine was too sticky. It should be sticky, but not so sticky you can't form it into a ball. DON'T overmix or handle the dough!
4. Put the dough on a floured surface and pat it into a flat rectangle, about 1 inch thick.
5.With a sharp knife cut the rectangle into 6 even squares, then cut those squares into triangles. You should now have 12 scones (on the smaller side).
6. Place carefully onto a baking sheet and bake for 16-18 minutes.
7. Once they are done, let them cool for a moment on the sheet, then move to a cooling rack.
8. In a small bowl mix together the glaze ingredients with a whisk. Adjust with more milk or more sugar if it is too watery or too thick.
9. Generously drizzle the scones with the glaze.
Enjoy! They were so good the boys insisted on bringing some to Daddy at work!