I've given you a look into many rooms in our home and I have to say I really love my son's Devon's room. It has been a work in progress, and still is, but it has been really fun to work on. You can see more photos of his room here.
One area where he keeps his toys and legos however has been in need of organization. I am on the hunt for a larger play table that could convert to a desk when he gets a little older. Land of Nod has some great options that are on my radar. Next to the play table area I wanted some shelves where he could keep some decorative items, pictures, books and completed Legos that he doesn't want his little brother to take apart. So, I made a trip to Ikea on Monday and picked up a few end brackets and Tuesday took a ride to Home Depot and had some wood cut to use as shelves. Ikea had wood shelves as well, but I wanted to go for a distressed weathered look with the wood to look like his Ikea nightstands.
I had three 30 inch x 1 inch x 11 inch pieces of wood cut at the store.
To give the wood the appearance of being well, not new, I took a hammer, a screw driver and some sandpaper to the wood. I used the screw driver and hammer to make dents and marks on the wood and the sandpaper to smooth out the sharp edges and create ones.
To insure that the stain wouldn't be too dark and would be less perfect and more weathered looking, I applied a thin layer of water on the wood with a paintbrush.
Then using a can of stain I had in the Garage, Mixwax Special Walnut, I applied a very thin layer to the board using the same brush. Since you used the water first, you'll see how the wood absorbs more stain in some places than others. This is important so the board doesn't look too perfect.
Then I used a clean rag to wipe the excess stain off the board. 1-2 coats of stain is all I needed to achieve the color I was looking for.
I let the boards dry before flipping them over and staining the other side.
After the boards dried I grabbed my brackets, some anchors, my screwdriver and hammer. These anchors below are the best by the way.
It had been a long day and I had two old shelves I had to remove first, so sadly I only got one shelf hung by the end of the day. However, I was really excited to see how great the first one came out! Two things to point out, because I can be really anal, especially when I see things in photos. 1) I made some holes next to the shelf that didn't work out. Those will obviously be patched! 2)OMG, that cable outlet is cream while every other cover and trim piece in the room is white. That is driving me bananas to see. Need to switch that out! 3) I know this shelf looks low, but there will be a few of them and I wanted Devon to be able to reach them too. When it is all complete, it will make sense :)
Just so you get the full picture of how the room looks after a day of working and letting my children pull out every other toy in the house :)
I'll give you a final update on his room once I get the shelves completed!